Thursday, April 13, 2006

Things I've learned from watching television --

Recently, I stumbled upon an episode of House. I don't regularly watch this program, but I've heard about how good it is so I decided to sit through the episode.

The focus of the episode was a nun (Sister Augustine) and the conflict between faith and reason -- to make things more interesting, everything was happening on Christmas.

Episode Transcript here.

This is my favorite exchange in the episode. (Chase is a doctor.)

Chase: ... I chose 1 Peter 1:7. “These trials only test your faith to see whether or not it is strong and pure. Your faith is being tested as fire tests gold and purifies it.”

Augustine: “And your faith is far more precious to the Lord than pure gold; so if your faith remains strong after being tested, it will bring you much praise and glory and honor on the day of His return.”

Chase: He hasn’t left you. The only thing in the way of your knowing if he’s left you is your fear. You have a choice: faith or fear. That’s the test.

Augustine: Do you think faith doesn’t mean I won’t die?

Chase: It will affect how you experience your death, and therefore your life. It’s up to you.


* * *

For writers --

The British Council announced the Bridport Prize for short stories and poetry.

The gist: First Prize is GBP5000, Second Prize is GBP1000 and Third Prize is GBP500. Deadline is May 10.

More details here.

* * *

And "Hurrah!" to Winnie the Pooh --

He got a star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame! Click here for the article.

Pooh is 80 years old, btw.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hnyaaa~~! Hisashi nya~! <3

You can check
http://www2.sanwasupply.co.jp/paper/materials/craft/craft_house.html

This is where I get some papercraft for my paper doll house. Stuff I use for my pinky. Just print it on nice boards and all will be good. :3

Anonymous said...

Hnyaaa~~! Hisashi nya~! <3

You can check
http://www2.sanwasupply.co.jp/paper/materials/craft/craft_house.html

This is where I get some papercraft for my paper doll house. Stuff I use for my pinky. Just print it on nice boards and all will be good. :3