Wednesday, September 19, 2007

A lot of things --

I've been busy -- and stressed.

I've been given the responsibility of milling out our alumni association's newsletter and it hasn't been an easy job.

It was very difficult getting all the materials together and this has caused us to push back our release date from August to September to -- (I'm tempted to say never, but) it is coming out before the year ends).

Initially, I was happy with just slapping photos and text together. I saved everything into the official thumbdrive and was all set to leave it with my "boss" -- but I realized that I couldn't allow something so bleh to have my name on it. So now I'm fixing it and will be meeting with my "boss" tomorrow instead.

Believe it or not, I've lost weight because of this. I'm happy about the weight loss but not about the reason why it is happening.

* * *

Break! --

My friend Florie gets an afternoon to herself once a week. (She takes care of her daughter full time.) I was surprised when I got a text from her last Saturday inviting me to join her on her afternoon off. Now, I know I don't deserve one but I couldn't resist tagging along.

So, our adventure started at 2-ish and she wanted to check out a dance studio and asked me if I was interested in learning to dance. We found one that teaches belly dancing but their only class is in the evening. (I can't -- Johann and I are the once who put Seth to sleep at night and it would be terrible if we break the routine.)

Then we went to SM. We wanted to watch a movie but none of the movies showing had a screening during the time we were there. So we ended up buying books for our kids.

We had merienda at David's Tea House -- her first time there so I ordered things that I thought she would enjoy.

We talked about our kids and about her upcoming trip to Manila. We also shared budgeting tips and ideas for Christmas gifts for our husbands. (She doesn't know what to get him. My hubby already told me what he wanted and I already ordered it.)

Before we knew it, it was 5:30 and we were both expected home at 5.

* * *

Bitten! --

It isn't really uso but one of the things on my Buy list in Singapore was a LeSportSac bag. I remember seeing it in Rustan's and I've always liked the funky prints.

When Johann and I were looking around for it, I was a bit intimidated by the price and I didn't really like the patterns.

I thought I was going to leave Singapore without a LeSportSac. At the airport, they had a small shop so we browsed around. It was cheaper at the Duty Free (because I didn't have to pay for GST) so we bought it with the last of our Singapore dollars.

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

It's exactly what I needed -- a "sling" big enough to hold my phone and my wallet. It's makes shopping easier because I don't have to fumble for my things inside Seth's diaper bag.

So now I want more LeSportSac bags. A bigger one that can hold a book or two. (I think I'm getting one from Johann for Christmas. ^_^)

Oh, a bit of a discovery -- LeSportSac is cheaper in Manila than Singapore, Japan or Korea.

* * *

Found at Booksale --

Every Sunday, Johann and I leave Seth with the yaya and go to SM City. We visit two places -- Booksale and SM's Bargain Books section. This is our weekly stress reliever -- and our chance to quietly contemplate books.

I was about to go home empty-handed (which I hate) when I found this on one of the bottom shelves.

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

I checked it and it is in pristine condition with all the parts still there.

Yay!

(I instructed Seth's yaya to launder it twice before giving it to Seth.)

* * *

More on books --

So I finished reading Frank Beddor's The Looking Glass Wars. I liked it but I can't imagine it being a trilogy.

I appreciate Beddor's effort to try to weave in as much of the real story behind Alice in Wonderland into his own thesis but it didn't feel seamless.

Anyhoo our copy of the next installment is coming this October so I should have a better idea of his project by then.

I also finished Jane Yolen and Adam Stemple's Troll Bridge -- part of their Rock n Roll Fairy Tales series. I had high expectations for this book because I really enjoyed Pay the Piper.

It was an enjoyable read and I like their version of the Three Billy Goats Gruff ^_^ but it wasn't as cohesive and as "wow!" as Pay the Piper.

I'm going to start reading Susanna Clarke's The Ladies of Grace Adieu tomorrow.

* * *

Sad --


Found out from Johann last night that Robert Jordan is dead.

I don't read his works and I'm not a fan but my husband is. Johann has been following the Wheel of Time series since he was a freshman in UP.

According to his Wiki entry, the first book in the Wheel of Time series was published in 1990 and was supposed to be a 12-part series.

Book 11 came out in 2005 and everyone was expecting the last book to be released this year or next.

And then he died.

Requiescat in Pace, Mr Jordan.

No comments: