Saturday, May 16, 2009

Best pasalubong! --

Our friends just came back from Spain. They dropped off some pasalubong for us -- the usual stuff for the kids -- fun activities and knickknacks.

This is what they got for us --

Photobucket

SMURF Marshmallows!!!

Photobucket

Insane cuteness!!! >_<

The problem is, I don't know if I want to eat them.

Or how --

I'm thinking, smores.

* * *

Coming home --

One of my favorite memories is about chocolate cake --

Every time we came home from school (in Manila), my parents always fetched us from the airport. (No matter the time of day or how busy they were -- they'd always be there at arrival area to welcome us home.)

There'd also be a chocolate cake in the back seat that my dad picked up from Carlo's bakery on the way to the airport.

It wasn't the fanciest cake -- but it was delicious and it was the perfect way to welcome us back to Iloilo.

Carlo's closed years ago and I've (un)consciously measured all other chocolate cakes against it and, as expected, most other cakes fell short.

Early this year, we discovered the Carlo's was reopening and the first thing I thought of was chocolate cake.

It took us 5 months to eventually go there but we finally made the trip last Thursday.

And they had the cake!

Photobucket

And it was just as amazing.

Photobucket

My sister and I were eating it together and we felt the same way -- it felt like coming home. (We are home. ^_^)

Even Johann, who is very particular about his chocolate cake (he likes it fudgy and not spongy; he likes the icing to be of a particular consistency and not too thick; etc.) loved it.

When my dad came home and saw the cake, he said, "It's bigger now, isn't it?"

But it made him smile -- (too bad he can't eat it anymore.)

And it made all of us happy. ^_^

No comments: