Monday, August 08, 2005

Back to honeymoon kwento! --

The ice cream -- I miss the Baskins I had in Bangkok. I miss how cheap it was! >_<

Here are our ice cream photos --

Image hosted by Photobucket.com
My hunny at the Ben and Jerry's in Hong Kong. He was so, so tempted to get the pint of Pistachio -- but we decided to try a flavor that isn't available locally -- I think this one was called the Dublin Mudslide.

Image hosted by Photobucket.com
Gelato in Hong Kong! This one was Pistachio. We also tried Caramel and Cookies and Cream mixed together -- but the absolute, hands-down winner was the Ferrero Roche gelato mix. YUM!

The Comics and Gamers Fair was madness! I'm glad we decided to go -- it was interesting seeing the HK fans get so excited over Naruto and Gundam and other series -- the most curious thing we saw was the Infernal Affairs MMORPG.

Doraemon is also very big in HK. O_o

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Johann and I also enjoyed the airports. At the Bangkok Airport, we treated ourselves to foot and head & shoulder massages. So, so worth it. It was the perfect preparation to HK.

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

I finished reading Harry Potter while waiting to board the plane. ^_^

* * *

Tin loves Noodles --

We had a goal in HK and it was to splurge on dimsum and noodles. The HK Tourism Board released a booklet that detailed the winners of the annual culinary awards and they had a list of the places with the best dimsum and noodles.

Most of these places were in the HK side and the rain made it difficult for us to travel. We decided to go to the one in Kowloon -- a restaurant called "Dong" -- the food was very, very expensive and I wasn't really convinced of its merits.

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

I had congee and it was bleh. =P

Feeling a bit disillusioned and frustrated, we had already accepted the sad, sad realization that we won't be able to have good dimsum before going home.

Our flight was at 430 in the afternoon and we were scheduled for pickup at 130. I was a bit worried that 130 would be too late and that we wouldn't have enough time to go around the HK International Airport, we requested to be fetched earlier. When we got to the airport, we discovered that they had Maxim's there (voted as one of the best restos for dimsum and noodles) --

It was wonderful! I had the wonton noodle soup and Johann had the fried e-fu noodles.

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Johann saw the noodle dish being served to the table behind us and was so intrigued by it. We kept trying to ask the waiters what it was but there was a massive communication barrier. I mustered up all my knowledge of Mandarin and managed to get the message across. The e-fu noodles was amazing.

(There is actually a slideshow of me eating the noodles -- but I won't show it here. ^_^;;;)

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

<-- the view from our seat.

We had a lovely time in Bangkok and Hong Kong -- I've always been worried about stepping out of my comfort zone (Singapore) to explore other places and I'm glad Johann was with me to experience Bangkok. It was a revelation and we would love to go back in the future. ^_^

No comments: