Tuesday, August 16, 2005

Coming Full Circle --

I remember the first time I heard "Seasons of Love" -- it was on the "Today Show" and I had only seen the last part of the performance. But the words stuck to me and I had to find out what it was about. Five hundred twenty five thousand six hundred minutes

I did an online search and I found out that it was from a new musical called "Rent" -- I thought that was that. I had satisfied a curiosity. It was all good.

And then I found a copy of the 2-disc CD of the musical at CD Warehouse in Shoppesville. It was selling for PhP850 and it was the only copy of the CD. In 1996, as a college Junior with an allowance of PhP2000 a month, PhP850 makes quite a dent in one's cash flow. But I went ahead and bought it and I haven't regretted that decision ever since.

That led to the purchase of the big-ass RENT book and then tickets to see the local production and then watching the local prodcution so many times -- on it's last weekend alone, I was there for ALL the shows: Wednesday, Thursday, Friday, Saturday Matinee and Gala, and Sunday Matinee and Gala.

It led to more musicals and a whole new group of friends (the RENTheads). It led to new-found confidence and an assurance that everything will be alright.

And now, the movie version is coming out and the cast of RENT (the movie) once again perform on the "Today Show" --

I tell you, it's all so magical.

Click here.

They also performed "What You Own" -- click here.

And the official movie music video is here.

* * *

I wish --

I wish Atlantis would stage RENT one last time and I would watch it with my siblings and Johann and Gabby and Mase and Laika and everyone and we would all just laugh together and cry together.

~sigh~

No comments: