Thursday, September 01, 2005

In other news --

I made this for dinner:
Image hosted by Photobucket.com

... if it's not recognizable, it's my version of Katsudon.

It's a simple recipe and one that, surprisingly, did not take long to prepare.

Johann was amused that I started taking pictures of the finished product. We shared the *ahem* feast with our neighbor (my brother ^_^). They both thought it was good. I'm so happy! XD

The recipe: (naks!)

For the tonkatsu:
Pork cutlets (I used pork steak sold in packs of 4 from Rustan's Fresh - PhP66 for 4)
Flour
Japanese breadcrumbs
Egg (beaten)
Salt & Pepper

I flattened the pork steaks by putting them between clingfilm and pounding at them with a bottle of ketchup. Then, I dredged them in flour (seasoned with salt and pepper), carefully shaking off the excess. A quick dip into the egg and then the Japanese breadcrumbs.

I put it in the fridge to "set" for a few minutes. I used that time to prepare the rice. When the rice cooker switch hit "warm", I started to prepare the sauce:

6 tablespoons soy sauce (we used Kikkoman)
4 tablespoons vinegar (we used Datu Puti) -- but if you have Mirin, it would be better
1 cup water (Dashi stock was suggested)
5 tablespoons of sugar
Onions, sliced into slivers

Dump everything in a shallow pan and allow the onions to soften. (Taste and season to your liking.) Make sure the pan you use is big enough to hold the tonkatsu.

At this point, I took out the pork from the fridge and heated up a pan (and put oil in it) -- fry the pork, 4 to 5 minutes on each side and then take them out and slice them (but not all the way through -- you know what this looks like people, don't make me suffer by having me explain this >_<)

Check the sauce, the onion would have softened and the sauce would be nice and steamy. Place in the tonkatsu (they're tonkatsu now because they're cooked! ^_^) in the sauce.

If you wanna be fancy (or you have eggs leftover from the week before and just want to consume them, like we did), beat some eggs and pour them on top of the tonkatsu and let them cook.

Serve rice in a bowl, place one piece of tonkatsu on top of the rice and spoon some of the onions and sauce on top.

Itadakimasu!

More pics (because I am so proud of myself ^_^)
Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

2 comments:

jactinglim said...

Hahaha! Buti ka pa marunong magluto :) I once almost set the fire alarm (the bulding security had to knock on our unit's door just to chec if there was fire)...

and I was just reheating muffins!

Anyway, I found this blog through Camy, who I featured in my webcomic PILYA this week :) Do check it out and feel free to elave comments!

Tin (ni Johann) said...

Hi!

Thank you for dropping by. ^_^

I saw the work you did of Camy. Cute! ^_^