Saturday, May 06, 2006

Posting from Iloilo --

So I'm currently in Iloilo preparing to give birth to my son.

At the airport last Thursday, I encountered the party of Dennis Rodman and, like every other person at the airport, I took out my phone and started taking pictures of him.

When I arrived in Iloilo, the first thing I did was contact the local PLDT office to apply for a DSL line. I was initially impressed with how efficiently they handled my call -- I was informed that there were available lines in my area and that they would send someone over the next day with the application form.

The next day, the person from PLDT arrived late -- affecting our schedule for the entire day. After filling out the form, I was told that it would take 3 to 5 days for activation.

That was the start of the Labor Day weekend --

When I called back last Wednesday to ask for an update of my application, I was informed that they ran out of DSL lines in my area and that it would take between two weeks to two MONTHS for them to give me a line. I told them to keep my application on priority and that I would call to follow up the application in a few days.

I was given a different number and was given the impression that my application would be filed in their database.

I called again last Friday just to make sure that I was already in their database. This is my conversation with the person who handled my call:

Me: Hi, my name is ... and I would like to check on my application for a DSL line.
PLDT: What's your phone number?
Me: It's 3xx-xxxx. The line is under my mom's name ...
PLDT: Ma'am, I don't see your application in my records.
Me: That's strange. I spoke to Eden and she said she would handle it.
PLDT: I'll give you Eden's cellphone number so you can ask her about your application.
Me: Um... isn't that your job? Could you please ask Eden regarding my application? I'll call in an hour to find out the status.


Thirty minutes later, I get a call from Eden and she explains that she gave my form to her boss who is currently out of the office for a meeting. I asked her why my application wasn't placed in the database yet and she just gave me a roundabout answer about how she gave the form to her boss and that her boss is at the office.

I told her that I wanted that application processed and that I would check on Monday to make sure that they've done their job.

In the meantime, I was stuck with an old laptop with a faulty modem you have to tilt at an angle in order to get a dialtone.

I took matters into my own hands and asked for a Philips-head screwdriver, opened the laptop and fiddled with the modem. And here I am.

* * *

Labor Day weekend --

Last weekend, my father-side relatives from Manila and Cebu decided to spend the long weekend with us. I was a bit worried about how I would entertain my cousins as there really isn't much to do in Iloilo. I packed some board games with me, hoping that would help pass the time.

We played Carcassonne, Fluxx and Landlord -- while munching on "snacks" like pan de sal (from a bakery that's been around since 1896), macopa (which I don't eat, but my cousins seemed to love), baye-baye (I can't explain this one, basta it's yummy), peanuts and pistachio.

I was especially thankful that I got to spend some time with my cousin who is currently based in Cebu -- we were able to talk about my impending motherhood and how she handled the changes and challenges in her life (she's married and has a 3-year old and they moved to Cebu a year ago).

* * *

On the Reading front --

I FINALLY finished reading Jane Austen's Pride and Prejudice after 3 years of starting and stopping. It was an enjoyable and rewarding experience. I went to National Bookstore and picked up a copy of Sense and Sensibility.

Since the movie is coming out in two weeks, I also reread Dan Brown's Da Vinci Code -- it really is an exciting read and I wonder if Ron Howard et. al. would be able to do it justice.

No comments: