Thursday, May 11, 2006

Saying goodbye --

Today Johann is saying goodbye to our beloved PC in Manila. When we decided that I was going to come home to Iloilo to give birth, we knew we couldn't take our PC with us so we sold it to a friend and bought parts that I used to build a new PC here in Iloilo.

Our friend is getting the PC today. I'm not there to say goodbye, but I feel the loss of such a trusty companion -- that PC was the very first thing we purchased with our own money and it was a PC built to serve our needs. There were no compromises and shortcuts when that PC was built.

The new PC is actually much better, infinitely faster and has a better graphics card -- but it really is a bittersweet moment having to say goodbye to something that was an integral part of our daily lives.

* * *

I miss DSL --

Didn't realize how much I miss having DSL and how I took for granted such a wonderful service until I had to deal with dial-up.

Something as simple as updating my blog takes a few minutes longer -- having to wait for pages to load. Window shopping on Amazon.com is next to impossible because it takes forever for pictures to load.

I don't even have Y!M yet because it wouldn't download properly (and I can't tie up the phoneline =P)

In the continuing quest for DSL here in Iloilo -- I've made a habit of calling every other day to check on my application. I finally got a breakthrough last Wednesday when I spoke to a person who actually knew her job.

I finally have a service order and installation is pending availability of a line.

Am hoping that we get DSL by the end of the month.

* * *

Funny things you read in the paper --

Saw this on the ad for the movie "Apoy sa Dibdib ng Samar" --

Oo, inaamin ko sila ay mga yakal, lawaan, apitong at narra at kami ay saging lang.
Pero maghanap kayo ng puno sa buong Pilipinas -- Saging lang ang mga puso.


* * *

Sunday is --

Mother's Day. I am quite pleased with what I got for my mom (on behalf of my sibs) -- a pair of capri pants, a nice cotton top and funky wedges to complete the outfit. I didn't break the bank for this outfit, though -- decided to go to SM Department store and bought everything there. ^_^

We were walking around a mall yesterday and she _was_ looking for new clothes.

My dad also asked me to get my mom something (from him) and this one took a lot longer to find. My dad is practical and I don't think he would've appreciated it if I spent his money on something "frivolous" <-- am not quite sure what counts as frivolous for my dad. I finally decided to get a "coin purse" (can actually fit bills) in green Chinese silk -- Green is my mom's favorite color and she needs a wallet that's more accessible. It wasn't so expensive either, so my dad can just buy something else if he doesn't like the idea of giving that to my mom.

No comments: