Thursday, December 21, 2006

Interesting Week --

It started two Mondays ago when I came down with, what I thought was, a flu. I had a high fever and achy joints. I stayed in bed and downed massive amounts of orange juice and vitamin C. I went to see a doctor later that evening and couldn't even muster up the energy to go down a few flights of stairs. I had started to get cold so I was bundled up in a blanket. The doctor gave me meds and suggested that I try to sweat out the fever.

So that evening, we did. My mom gave me a sponge bath (with tepid water) to try to get my fever down and then had to sweat the fever out.

I started feeling better that evening.

The next day, I woke up with no joint pains and no fever. We made an appointment for Thursday with a pulmonologist just to make sure it wasn't pneumonia. I was ready to be given a clean bill of health.

And then it happened. Right after lunch, I started to get chills. I was shivering and my teeth were chattering. I couldn't even make it to the bathroom because my limbs were too cold to walk. I had the yaya call my mom. By then, I was bundled under two layers of blankets and I was still cold. Johann was at work so it was my parents who had to make a quick decision to bring me to the hospital. At this point, I had already started turning blue/black.

I was admitted and an infection specialist was brought in.

Acute pylonephritis. Otherwise known as a Urinary Tract Infection gone bad. Apparently, I'd been hosting a UTI, which never presented any symptoms (later, we read that this sometimes happens) -- it only reared its ugly head in the latter stages when it hit my kidneys.

All would've been fine and dandy until they got the results back of my CBC and they discovered, serendipitously, that my SGPT/SGOT was five times the normal value. The SGPT/SGOT monitors your liver and how fatty it is. My doctor was worried that I might have Hepatitis. The doctor suggested that I get a hepa titer test to rule out all the Hepas. I also got a stomach ultrasound.

Results came back negative for hepatitis (whew!) and for anything else in my tummy (whew!) --

And then I got rashes. Thing is, I have really sensitive skin and there was this summer when the housekeeper decided to switch detergents on us and my sister and I got rashy. I broke out in rashes so we quickly changed hospital gowns (turns out, the one I was wearing had been kept in a dusty cabinet the day before) -- but, to be safe, they gave me an antihistamine and something for the rashes.

I was finally discharged last Sunday because I requested it. I still had a mild fever but paracetamol could manage it.

I still have a day of antibiotics and I need to go for a check-up with the doctor tomorrow.


jymdrn said...

Get well.

Deck said...

Wow. That's serious stuff. Good thing your infections specialist had the "right stuff". Get well soon. I'm glad to hear you've overcome this big pothole.

Laika said...

wah, i hope you're feeling all better now @_@ ingats kayo lagi ng family mo ~

oh and merry xmas and happy new year :)