Sunday, September 27, 2009

Dear friends in Manila --

We've been receiving messages from Johann's mom and my sister about the terrible rains and the flooding in Metro Manila and we've been reading updates on Inquirer.net and on Facebook --

When my mother in-law first texted, I immediately remembered Typhoon Frank and how badly it affected Iloilo. I was (and am still worried) about how all of you are doing in Manila. We've been checking Johann's Facebook for news from friends and family --

If there is one lesson from Frank that I learned, it's to be mindful of the water you drink --

Within days of Frank, our hospitals were filled with people complaining of stomach problems. Two months after Frank happened, my son suffered gastroenteritis (from the water) and had to be hospitalized.

Boil it. Filter it. Spend money and just buy bottled water.

Right now, I'm still trying to wrap my head around the whole situation -- lightning isn't supposed to strike twice in the same place -- but here we are -- with Frank last year and Ondoy this year. It really boggles the mind --

What's amazing are the rescue and relief efforts that are already underway -- it is inspiring to see the Filipino spirit shine during this very dark (and wet) time. ^_^

*
*
*

My entries on Typhoon Frank: Force Majeure Part 1 and Part 2.

No comments: