Thursday, January 29, 2009

Nigella = Happiness

I have another Glucose Test scheduled next week but I couldn't resist it -- I flipped open a Nigella Lawson cookbook and succumbed to her words.

Photobucket

I'm not a good cook and I'm a terrible baker -- but I love reading cookbooks and I have a lot of them -- for some strange reason, my sibs (and Johann) got me cookbooks as gifts in times past.

I enjoy reading Nigella Lawson -- she experiences such an honest pleasure over cooking and eating -- which I think is rare in our time. She's also quite funny and she inserts little tidbits even in her cooking/baking instructions. ^_^

Here's a lovely recipe from How to be a Domestic Goddess --

If anyone can make this for me, I will love that person forever (or until the next craving) --

Snickers and Peanut Butter Muffin
1 2/3 cups all-purpose flour
6 tablespoons sugar
1 1/2 tablespoons baking powder
pinch of salt
1/4 cup unsalted butter
1 large egg, beaten
3/4 cup milk
3 1/2 full-size Snickers bars, chopped

12-cup muffin pan with paper baking cups

Preheat the oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit.

Stir together the flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt. Add the peanut butter and mix until you have a bowl of coarse crumbs. Add the melted butter and egg to the milk, and then stir this gently into the bowl. Mix in the Snickers pieces and dollop into the muffin cups.

Cook for 20-25 minutes, when the tops should be risen, golden, and firm to the (light) touch. Sit the pan on a wire rack for 5-10 minutes before taking out each muffin in its paper cup and leaving them on the wire rack to cool.

Makes 12.

* * *

My sister and Johann are both very happy --


Because they finally got this book.

Photobucket

The two of them held "friendly" negotiations last night over who gets to read it first -- Johann, who, despite expressing numerous times how he hates bringing hardcovers to work, lugged this one willingly and with a song in his heart to work this morning.

My other Barry Hughart blog entry.

No comments: