Saturday, November 08, 2003

Making Time

Look at what I made:
Hours of me wrapped in gift paper--

Time will alter itself to suit us
Allowing us to linger and savor the presence of each other
We will share our lifetimes over iced tea and cake, and
Cram past lives and laughter into the minutes
In the seconds, we will pause to seek out
Hidden meanings and innuendoes

Until the ice cubes melt
And there is nothing left to consume but crumbs

11.8.2003

* * *

Listening to:
Taxi Ride and A Sorta Fairytale by Tori Amos

* * *

Been reading Endless Vow: The Zen Path of Soen Nakagawa before I sleep. It's interesting -- it's this Buddhist monk's diary and he writes about his experiences through haiku. I enjoy the brief moment of contemplation it gives me every evening.

An interesting entry:
"Having left in the evening, I arrive at noon of the same day. If you take a jet, it is possible for you to arrive before you have left! Past and future are all cut off." - Soen Nakagawa

B and I once had a discussion about the flow of time -- a fascinating subject: if we chart the flow of time, what would we discover? Does time move in a straight line? Or in a spiral?

I've always believed that time does not move in a straight line. From 9:00am to 9:01am, many things come into the picture -- we think about the past and our future. There is a constant reaching back and reaching forward. Our memories/past pervades into our present (which explains, rather simplistically, Dali's Persistence of Memories -- am sure there's a deeper meaning, but am happy with this one in the meantime ^_^)

Re: the poem -- I've become fascinated with the image of 'making time' to do things. Something so arts-and-craftsy about the whole notion of having to make time -- so much you can do with it. ^_^

* * *

Yes, I said this --
You can find a lot of poppycock these days. (By poppycock, I mean the caramel popcorn with nuts, which you can buy by the box -- glorious sugar fix!)

When I said this to B this morning, he had to stop and think about it first. Had to clarify that I wasn't making a political statement, but a craving-for-sugar one. ^_^

No comments: