Thursday, December 11, 2003

Today I decided to walk barefoot in the Ateneo Lib.

Why?
Because the floor looked cold and nice to walk on with barefeet.
Because I miss walking on cold marble.
Because I've decided to stop worrying what other people might think of me.

So there I was, browsing through the Shakespeare collection with my slippers in one hand and the Norton Anthology of English Literature in the other. (When I have enough money, I will buy the entire Norton collection -- EVERYTHING they've ever printed. ^_^)

And I realized that people really didn't care -- a guy walked into that same aisle, looked around and left. All this time, I was worrying for nothing.

Shakespeare's Michael Cassio bemoans the loss of his reputation: "Reputation, reputation, reputation! O, I have lost my reputation! I have lost the immortal part of myself..." (Othello, Act 2, Scene 3) and I've always functioned along the same lines -- thinking that appearance is everything.

But there is more to life than worrying about this. (I've only realized this recently -- better late than never, right? ^_^)

When I got back to the store, I decided to walk around barefoot again.

Why?
Because it's my store? hehehehe ^_^
Seriously -- because it felt good.

* * *

More of my lists:

Things I did that I am most proud of
5. deciding to complete my MA (not that there was any doubt... but it was hard trying to motivate myself to work on that effing thesis)
4. ***
3. reading all the books I read this year (i love books ^_^)
2. completing chapter 1 of my thesis (yay! sa wakas!)
1. living my life ^_^ (h'ray for me)

*** I'm sure I've done a lot of things that I'm proud of, but what defined this year for me is my MA. I am on the verge of completing something that I've worked hard on for the past 3 years and all that stands in my way is a comprehensive exam, 4 chapters of a thesis and a defense.

No comments: