Wednesday, January 05, 2005

Happy Birthday to us --

Tomorrow, we turn 27. My J was born at 8:43 am and I was born at 10:00 am.

* * *

On the tragedy --

This morning I was confronted with just how devastating that tragedy was -- one of my cubiclemates' students was a victim in the tsunami. She was a sophomore Bio student. She and my cubiclemate were very close and would usually have a chat every MWF when my cubiclemate comes out of her 8:30 - 9:30 class.

Today was the first time they did not meet.

It made the return to school a bittersweet event -- not only do you come back to welcome your students, but also to check who's there and who isn't and wonder whether they were in one of the places hit by the tsunami.

I spoke about my thoughts on the tragedy during my En11 class. I was on the verge of tears as I spoke about how it's strange to be greeting each other a Happy New Year when there is this happening outside us.

~sigh~

No comments: