Friday, July 27, 2007

How to Eat -- Lessons from a Rat

We were supposed to watch Ratatouille yesterday but Seth's yaya had to go home so we ended up watching it tonight. Johann and I watched it with a Korean friend of ours -- Phoebe.

I really really enjoyed this movie and it's currently on my top ten list of movies for the year (what the others are, I can't remember right now ^_^).

There was a scene where Remy was trying to educate his brother Emile on the "finer art" of eating -- I loved that scene. It reminded me of what it is we are meant to enjoy -- and how to eat.

Remy: Hey I brought you something to...
[sees Emile eating garbage]
Remy: AH! NO NO NO NO! SPIT THAT OUT RIGHT NOW!
[Emile obeys]
Remy: I have got to teach you about food. Close your eyes.
[Emile obeys, Remy hands out piece of cheese]
Remy: Now take a bite of this...
[Emile snarfs cheese]
Remy: No no no! Don't just hork it down!
Emile: Too late.


These days, I have mastered the art of the five- to ten-minute meal because I have to attend to my son.

I had forgotten to enjoy and appreciate my meals but, this evening, I did exactly that.

After the movie, we headed to David's Tea House because Phoebe had never eaten there before. For the first time in about 6 months (since Seth started solids), I actually took my time and really enjoyed the flavors.

We sat and ate and talked -- and spent about 40 minutes at the restaurant.

It's a wonderful way to start the weekend. ^_^

* * *

Oh and --

I bought the book.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I loved Ratatouille!

After the movie I had a horrible hankering for rich French food. Instead went to Cibo and it was NICE.

~Mahar