Tuesday, July 06, 2004

Let's do the math --

In 1978, there were 4,151,846,000++ people in the world.
There are currently 6,440,982,750++ people in the world.
The Philippines has a population of 82,000,000++ people.
Every second five people are born and two people die, a net gain of three people.

Based on this, in a group of 23 people, at least two have the same birthday.

n choose p = n! / p!(n-p)!

<-- this is just part of the calculation ^^ (and the number is in the billions)

* * *

^_^ --

Chat log with P:
P: malapitin ka sa rare permutations no? I mean, meeting up with someone who was born on the very same day...and actually getting together with that person.
Me: oh my! yeah! i'm having someone calculate the odds for me -- i'm trying to figure out a bit of it myself
P: the odds, man. just imagine. hehe
Me: ^_^ -- am fate-alistic eh --
P: i guess, God doesn't throw dice.

When P typed that line, it made me smile. ^^

No comments: