Sunday, December 05, 2004

On the question of whether there is still magic in this world --

We just wrapped up our discussion of the traditional modes of narrative in my fiction class and I assigned my class a paper. I asked them to consider these traditional modes in the face of (post-)modern fiction and to answer the question -- "Is there still magic in this world and do you believe in it?"

I'm reading through 46 essays and they all pretty much say the same thing -- No and No. Many of my students cite science and technology and this awareness of reality as reasons why they don't believe in magic anymore.

I don't know if I gave them the impression that I didn't think it existed anymore and they were just writing to please me or if these are really their thoughts.

I'm hoping it's the former --

Because it would just be sad if it were the latter.

No comments: