Sunday, May 02, 2004

A belated thing --

Poem In Your Pocket

The City of New York and The New York Times invite you to join us on April 30, 2004 for Poem in Your Pocket Day. April is National Poetry month and there is no better way to culminate this tradition than a citywide celebration of poetry and literacy. New Yorkers are encouraged to carry a poem in their pocket and share it with friends, family, coworkers and classmates. Public schools throughout the five boroughs will highlight poetry on this day through readings, poetry workshops and specifically designed lesson plans. Tuck a poem in your pocket and see what surprises may come your way. What will your poem be?

To commemorate the end of National Poetry Month, blog about your favorite poem and provide at least one link to other poems and/or a bio of the poet.

Here's mine:

The Saddest Noise
by Emily Dickinson

The saddest noise, the sweetest noise,
The maddest noise that grows, --
The birds, they make it in the spring,
At night's delicious close.

Between the March and April line --
That magical frontier
Beyond which summer hesitates,
Almost too heavenly near.

It makes us think of all the dead
That sauntered with us here,
By separation's sorcery
Made cruelly more dear.

It makes us think of what we had,
And what we now deplore.
We almost wish those siren throats
Would go and sing no more.

An ear can break a human heart
As quickly as a spear,
We wish the ear had not a heart
So dangerously near.

Plus, an interesting Emily Dickinson link.

* * *

12.5 %

My weblog owns 12.5 % of me.
Does your weblog own you?


* * *

Interesting weekend --

My J and I met up with his friends last Friday for dinner and drinks -- I thought I was going to feel so woefully out of place because they're all from the same org and from the same university, but I didn't -- they were all so nice and so funny! I couldn't stop laughing! We started at Absinthe in Greenbelt 3 (had their Bailey's Shake -- yum!) and then went to Tiananmen along Makati Ave (great music).

... my J hasn't met my friends yet. (I wonder how that will turn out ^_^)

Saturday, saw G before she left for Dumaguete today and was able to get an update about her -- it's always good to touch base with friends and am glad she's doing okay. ^_^

We decided to close the store really early because we realized it was Labor Day and no one was there --

* * *

Spent the rest of the day with my J and we ended up playing Trivial Pursuit --

Here are snippets from various stages of the game:

my J: Amp! Anobanaman'tongmgatanongna'to?

- - -

Me: Fuck! How the hell am I supposed to know that?!?

- - -

my J: Shit, andali ng tanong ng gago.

- - -

Me: Damn you! (I chucked the six-sided die at him)
my J: *incredulous look*

erm... etc. ^_^

For something as "intellectual" as a game of Trivial Pursuit, we were swearing a lot ^_^ (but it was a fun game and we finished in less than an hour -- we both had difficulty with Sports and Leisure and my J was galing with People and Places and Arts and Entertainment)

* * *

Oh, and if you get a chance to visit Ice Monster -- try their Halo-halo (the finely-shaved ice really makes a difference ^_^)

No comments: