Wednesday, October 15, 2003

Currently listening to: Tori Amos' Scarlets' Walk album

Considering it was Wednesday and a dead day at the store (deader than usual), I managed to get a lot of things done:

- won one game of Neopets against C (this is after losing x number of times from about 11am to 2pm -- each game lasts about 8 to 10 minutes, do the math ... and find out what x is equal to ^_^)

- drew my blacksmith character on M's scratch/sketch pad. I cannot draw to save my life, but she insisted and I drew. She had a lovely .3 tip pen -- I could not resist! ^_^

We also invented two new creatures: a SnaGerDal (I drew a snake with tiger stripes and dalmatian dots) and a SnaBuBu (a bunny with bug antenna's and a snake tongue) -- isn't this just the cutest name? ^_^

- bought ice cream! (pistachio, double dutch and the new Selecta sundae series: Blueberry Cheesecake) and a shedload of orange juice (I feel a tickle in my throat and this is not a good time for me to get sick. Been taking massive doses of Vitamin C.)

- read the first half of the first set of readings for my comprehensive exams. (My reading list is 8 pages long.)

- thought about the project and discussed it with E and C. When I'm ready, I will discuss it here.

Am reading AS Byatt's A Biographer's Tale. This is the nth time I'm reading this book, but I've never finished it. It just gets too technical and unwieldy for my liking, but I'm hoping to finish it this time.

This pleases me:
A few days ago, a friend asked me if I was okay. I was a bit surprised with the question because, when I took stock of myself, I realized that I'm fairly satisfied with how my life is going right now: thesis chapter one is done, comprehensive exam is in February, thesis defense during the summer, etc. That aside, life has been good to me -- I want for nothing.

Strangest thing said to me:
"You look like a nun." (Mukha kang madre) -- bumped into former co-teachers while picking up the pictures I had developed and one of them said this. I don't know how to take it.

From Louisa May Alcott's Little Women:
If people really want to go, and really try all their lives, I think they will get in, for I don't believe there are any locks on that door or any guards at the gate. - Laurie, about heaven

* * *

Went through old papers and notes and found this written on one of my notebooks:
"In order to give light, you must first be willing to burn." (I think one of the senior teachers in Xavier said this at our colloquiom)

No comments: