Tuesday, December 06, 2011

December 4: Book --

What book – fiction or non – touched you? Where were you when you read it? Have you bought and given away multiple copies?

Of all the books I've read this year, the one book I could not stop talking about was Battle Hymn of the Tiger Mother by Amy Chua.




It really polarized parents and their views on parenting.

I read it and felt that Amy Chua was misunderstood -- and that parts of her book were taken out of context.

I really enjoyed reading it.  I was able to gain a lot of insights into my own family life.  (My sister initially hated it and wanted to throw the book away but I told her to continue reading it ... she never did.)

What I took away from the book is that no two parents are alike -- and no two children are alike.  Chua raised both her daughters in the same environment and under the same strict guidance -- but they grew up with very different personalities and tastes -- this forced Amy Chua to reconsider her own style of parenting -- she adapted to suit both her daughters.

I hope I can be as dedicated to my children.  I hope I can be as consistent with them.

But I know, in the end, I can only be myself -- and I will try to try my best with them

No comments: