Tuesday, March 09, 2004

To fall in love is to create a religion with a fallible god.
- Jorge Luis Borges

... I found this quote in the Norton Anthology of Theory and Criticism

* * *

...love is a story
- Dr. Robert Sternberg

... was reading P and R's psych book (they're BS Psych sophomores -- it was an interesting read. I'll ask to borrow and photocopy some parts next time I see them)

* * *

"Do you have a feeling that I am rushing into things?" --

When J asked me this question last night, I didn't know what to say because I wasn't sure what he meant by it.

(Amazing how much clarity sleep gives me --)

It is 6 in the morning and I think I know what he means by it because I realized that I am rushing into things also --

I've been filling my days with all these activities. I'm constantly looking for something to do. I can never seem to catch my thoughts or to pause and reflect. And, while I can say that I'm just restless and antsy and that this will pass the minute I find out the results of my comprehensive exam (yes, my life revolves around a letter grade which two anonymous people will give me =P), there's that part of my brain that's telling me this isn't entirely the case.

And I wonder what it is exactly that I'm trying to run away from.
What is it that I am trying to avoid?
What is it that I am trying not to deal with?

I asked J if he knew why he's rushing -- and maybe I did so because I want to find my reasons for doing so.

I can't remember what he said and it doesn't really matter because those aren't my reasons.

~sigh~

* * *

Reflections on the canon --

"Mel and I were a badly dubbed, out-of-sync kung fu movie, with Mel as the action and me lagging behind as the dialogue. I thought I'd never catch her up. But which is more important: us reaching the same conclusions, or us reaching the same conclusions at the same time?" - Mike Gayle, Mr. Commitment

One of my favorite tracks in the Royal Tenenbaum's OST is Mothersbaugh's Canon -- I like how quiet it sounds. (Strange way to describe it, but I know very little of music -- sorry ^_^)

(I also like Pachelbel's Canon ^_^)

I like the idea that it is one melody played over and over, starting at different times to create this piece of music called a canon. (In another website, the canon is described as an echo -- ^_^)

I'd like to think of my life as one of the songs in that cosmic canon. I began when I begin. Though I find mself wanting to catch up with those who are ahead of me, I realize that this is the pace I am meant to walk at. I need to concentrate on playing my own part well.

And, though I may not be able to see the big picture, I know that it is there.

.. to each his own time

No comments: